About Me

Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Peace I Give to You





I heard this song, played and sung live last week, and the tune and the words, convey, with sincerity, a simple thought: All I have to give is peace, and I give that peace to you.

I heard this song with my family and my friends at an Arlo Guthrie concert. He told a wonderful story about his father, Woody Guthrie, as a preamble to one of the last songs Woody Guthrie ever wrote. It was the final song in the concert and we all sang along.

Arlo says it's about the peace we feel inside, that makes dogs lick us and babies like us, and that if we give that little peace, the big peace will start taking care of itself, and that singing together, we're fixing things we didn't even know was broke.

If you click into the YouTube video, you can hear the whole story preceding the song, for a total experience of over 8 minutes. Fast forward to 3:42 to hear only the song and just a snippet of Arlo's intentions in singing it, as a gift to you and to me and to all of the world. Fast forward to 5:10 to hear only the song, recorded lovingly, by Arlo's wife, Jackie.

My peace is worth
a thousand times more
than anything I own...

My peace, my peace
is all I've got, that
I can give to you.

I give my peace to you.

5 comments:

  1. I'm very glad to hear this today, Annie. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannah,

    I'm glad you liked the song. It is so simple and so beautiful, and gives me a sense of peace when I hear it or sing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Annie

    Sounds wonderful. I'm going to come back to watch the video soon. Everything is slightly chaos around here at present. Got a new kitten too, who's very demanding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Annie
    Those words are so profound and true. I found myself singing along, almost cried just doing it, in a happy way of course. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Joanne,

    I know that feeling. The song is so simple and so true and so touching, and finding that place as we sing it, can bring the happy tears. Arlo Guthrie's love for his father is in the stories he tells about him, and the songs he's keeping alive.

    Enjoy your kitten!

    ReplyDelete