About Me

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Writing Process - Confronting the Self

"Writing is an act of hope. It means carving order out of chaos, of challenging one’s own beliefs and assumptions, of facing the world with eyes and heart wide open. Through writing we declare a personal identity amid faceless anonymity. We find purpose and beauty and meaning even when the rational mind argues that none of these exist. Writing therefore, is also an act of courage. How much easier is it to lead an unexamined life than to confront yourself on the page?"

Jack Heffron (from “The Writer’s Idea Book”)

I've never read this book, but I recently came across this quote, and I like it.

Leonie Lemphers on her blog Writing Pie has a great post today titled Finding the Heartbeat... that reminded me of the quote. Her post causes me to think about the nature of writer's block; also, why we write.

You know I like the quote because I've posted it in three places: Here, at Flowering Dream, and at my new tumblr account. I've resisted tumblr until now, because the whole concept confused me, but now I see it as a useful place to gather all things eclectic, and to share a bit of what appeals to me with the rest of the world. Such duplication on the internet!

4 comments:

  1. I love that quote! Another book to add to Mount TBR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie,
    That quote, it is so good! I'm writing it down.
    So, I'm off to read your tumblr account!
    Lately, I've had a mad spell of writers block so I think I need to check out that post too. It's so frustrating, when you want to write but you just. can't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Annie. It's great to see you. I love the quote. Writing really is a courageous thing to do. I also love "making order out of chaos." That is so true.

    I just checked out your tumblr account, and it is beautiful! I LOVE the colors you use, and of course, the entries are wonderful. I haven't heard of tumblr or what it's about. Can I link to it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Julie,
    I'm glad you liked the quote. Let me think about the link. I'm still on a learning curve figuring out what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete